Top 5 tips for buying a wedding cake
Wedding cakes are a key purchase for your wedding. Not only is a cake a delicious treat for your guests, wedding cakes are also often a sugary focal point and/or stunning centrepiece that can make-or-break your entire day.
Feeling the pressure on purchasing a great crowd-pleasing cake yet? Well, one of the UK’s leading cake connoisseurs, Rebecca Chitty (Chitty’s Cakes), has kindly agreed to share her expertise & wisdom to assist all you couples out there who are looking to buy the perfect wedding cake for your big day!
So, here’s the ultimate top tips for buying a wedding cake from Birmingham’s resident cake expert…
1. Don’t leave it until the last minute – some wedding cake makers can get booked out over a year in advance, so start thinking about the sort of thing you want with plenty of time to go before the big day.
2. Look at lots of pictures online before you make any decisions – it’s good to get lots of ideas, and show these to your wedding cake makers so they have a good feel of what styles and colours you have in mind.
3. Find a cake maker you like and trust (personal recommendations are always good), who makes cakes in a style that suits you. It’s no good finding a picture of your ideal cake, and giving it to a cake maker who does not work with that style/those techniques/those ingredients. Check all of these things before booking your wedding cake with someone.
4. Don’t have too fixed an idea in your mind when you go for a consultation (and make sure you do go for a consultation!) – cake makers are creative people, and they will probably excel if given a little freedom to bring your vision to life by putting their own creative spin on it, so keep an open mind!
5. Don’t think in ingredients when considering the cost – you are paying for an expert’s time and skill, not flour, eggs and sugar. And as with most things, you will get what you pay for, so if you opt for a cheap option, you may not be happy with the end result!
Excellent advice. Thank you, Rebecca! Chitty’s Cakes will be running a fabulous Wedding Cake Course at the Custard Factory on the 15th and 16th September.Back to blog